A S C R A P B O O K O F S O L U T I O N S F O R T H E P H O T O G R A P H E R
Enhancing the enjoyment of taking pictures with news that matters, features that entertain and images that delight. Published frequently.
28 February 2017
In this recurring column, we highlight a few items we've run across that don't merit a full story of their own but are interesting enough to bring to your attention (with more than 140 characters). This time we look at Vanity Fair's Oscar party portraits, iPhone portraits, Joel Sartore's photo ark, a free Luminar video on portrait retouching, SilverFast version 8.8.0r8 and Lieko Shiga.
- There are 18 of Mark Seliger's 2017 Vanity Fair Oscar Party Portraits but there are more on the publications Instagram account.
- In Creating Beautiful Portraits With the iPhone 7 Plus in Portrait Mode With Depth Effect, Rad Drew goes beyond capture to include processing with SnapSeed's face filters and even creating the effect in images not shot with the iPhone 7 Plus using inexpensive apps.
- in Photographer Builds a 'Photo Ark' for 6,500 Animal Species and Counting, Terry Gross interviews Joel Sartore about his 25-year endeavor to document every captive animal species in the world using studio lighting and black-and-white backgrounds. There's more on his Web site, too.
- Derrick Story's free Luminar video demonstrates how to retouch skin in a portrait using layers.
- LaserSoft Imaging has released SilverFast version 8.8.0r8. In the new version, the active ICC profile is now displayed in the lower left of the window, both a full screen and lights off view have been added and the SilverFast ColorServer Edition includes a new Setup-Pilot.
- Pier 24 is hosting a lecture by Japanese photographer Lieko Shiga on Thursday at SFMOMA's Phyllis Wattis Theater. Tickets are $15 general or $13 members and seniors.
More to come! Meanwhile, please support our efforts...